Monthly Archives: February 1942

28 February 1942 [Saturday]

English Translation

Kitty and the kids are seasick; it is rough weather again.  They sleep in my hut in the bunk and on the couch and floor, while I sleep in the maproom on a bench.

In the afternoon, all of a sudden the ‘Siporak‘ turns around to go back, which disturbs my crew. They start taking about striking, if I don’t go back and I am afraid of sabotage.  The general staff is also unsettled.  Not only about their families but also about the risk we are taking by running so far offshore, all the more so with the weather not improving.

I talk to all of them and make clear that I have no intention of returning.  We can always do that after tomorrow or when we get word that the situation is improved.  In my heart, I am afraid, however, that I cannot keep them under control and pray for strength.


Dutch Original

Kitty en de kinderen zeeziek; is dan ook ruw weder. Slapen in mijn hut op kooi, bank en de grond terwijl ik i/d [in de] kaartenkamer o/d [op de] bank pit.

Des middags keert ineens de ‘Siporok’ terug, wat een groote onrust onder de Inl. bemanning te weeg brengt. Beginnen te praten over dienstweigering, indien ik niet terug ga en ben ik bang voor sabotage.  Ook de etat-major is niet heelemaal gerust.  Niet alleen over hun gezin maar ook over de groote risico die we zoo ver v/d [van de] wal af loopen, te meer waar het weer er niet beter op wordt.

Spreek ze echter allen toe en laat uitkomen dat ik vast niet terugga. Kunnen we altijd morgen of zoo nog doen als de berichten beter zijn. In mijn hart ben ik echter bang of ik ze kan blijven imponeeren en bid om sterkte.


Supplementary Information

Advertisements

27 February 1942 [Friday]

English Translation

We got to Tjilatjap, at the same time as the Lloyd boat, which had six large planes on deck.  Will be too late.  Schakel from the HBO was very surprised because he had sent a Catalina out to search for us because they thought that we would have been torpedoed together with the ‘P Hordijk‘, which was just ahead of us.  The delay with the towing had saved me!

Harbour is packed, including 36 KPM-ers; and ships are moored two or three on the same buoy. We are next to the ‘vd Hagen‘ under Brinkers.   At nine o’clock, I go ashore, where the agent gives me Kitty’s address; she is, thank goodness, still here with the children.  While I am going to her, there is an alarm.  All soldiers and crew of the ships take shelter ashore.   Even a number of casualties from the Chinese coaster.  No planes are coming so I went to pick up Kitty and the children.  I got a motorboat from Bijviet and I took her on board, because I had to stay on board until five o’clock for orders.

Kitty lives in the house of the second lieutenant she met in the train.  On the jetty, anti-aircraft equipment is put around the ships, and it looks like we have to evacuate. The English are all dirty, tired and listless.  But the Americans are still fresh and optimistic.

When I wanted to go ashore at five o’clock, I received a message that I had to leave immediately.  Van Ruijs gave me a roll of Australian maps, heavily soiled blueprints.  Barkelen makes it clear to me that it is a hopeless situation. They expect an attack from the sea, closing the harbour, which would be a total massacre, with all those people and boats so close together. Although they do not have any luggage, we decide that Kitty and the kids should come with us, because whatever happens, we will be together.  However, she stays in the cabin to prevent problems.

We are first leave the buoys but since there is no help, we cut the ropes and slip the steel cables. There is only a pilot on the first boat, and the rest have to follow as good and bad as possible. The Chief Engineer is left behind because he is not back in time from a phone call, but we would not have had much help from him because he is completely finished because of nerves.

We get orders to sail 400′ south and wait for further orders.  It starts to get dark and the rain is pouring down.  What a sad ending.  Some fools anchor outside to await maps, water or people, but we steam on and disappear with the ‘Khoen Hoea‘, the ‘Sipirok‘ and the Lloyd boat that is full of troops (Djambi?) in the heavy rain and sail into the uncertain night as fast as we can.  As I had already seen how some troopships left in the afternoon and had placed heavy anti-air equipment on board, I felt that the end was near, but did not know it was so close.

Being very optimistic to the officers, as though it was temporary, because I’m the only one with  family on board, but in my heart feel it is over for Java.  Got an opportunity to offload the crew of the ‘Wega‘, but still have the additional 57 natives and Chinese on board as well as the English Chief Engineer. Depart Tjilatjap.


Dutch Original

Aankomst Tjilatjap, gelijk met Lloyd boot die 6 groote vliegtuigen aan dek heft staan.  Zullen wel te laat zijn er mede.  Schakel v/d [van de] HBO heel verbaasd want was er een Catalina uit om ons te zoeken daar ze dachten dat we gelijk met de ‘P Hordijk’ getorpedeerd waren, die vlak voor ons zat.  Echter heeft het oponthoud met de sleep me gered!

Haven is stampvol, o.a. de 36 KPM-ers, en liggen de schepen met 2 of 3 op het zelfde span boeien.  Wij liggen naast de ‘v.d. Hagen’ met Brinkers. Om 9 uur a/d [aan de] wal en bij de agent het adres van Kitty gekregen die God zij dank hier is met de kinderen. Terwijl ik naar haar toe ga is er alarm.  Alle soldaten en zeelui v/d [van de] schepen zoeken schuil a/d [aan de] wal.  Zelfs een hoop loopende gewonden v/d [van de] chineesche Kust-boot.  Komen geen vliegtuigen dus Kitty en kideren opgehaald, van Bijviet een motorboat gekregen en ze mee a/b [aan boord] genomen, daar ik tot 5 uur a/b [aan boord] moet blijven voor orders.

Kitty woont in het huis van de onderluitenant die ze in de trein had gezien. Op de steiger wordt afweergeschut rond de schepen geplaatst dus zal het wel evacuatie beteekeren. De Engelschen zijn allen vuil, lusteloos en dood moe, maar de Amerikanen zijn nog helder en monter.

Toen ik om 5 uur van boord wild gaan kwam er ineens bericht tot onmiddelijk vertrek. Krijg van Ruijs een rolletje Australische kaarten, d.w.z. zwaar besmeerde blauwdrukken. Barkelen geeft me te kennen dat de zaak vrij hopeloos is. Ze verwachten een aanval vanuit zee om zoodoende de haven af te sluiten, wat een ware slachtpartei zou worden, met al die menschen en schepen zo vlak bij elkaar. Alhoewel ze absoluut geen baggage hebben besluiten we dat Kitty en de kinderen mee gaan, want wat er ook gaat gebeuren, dan zijn we anyhow samen.  Houdt ze echter binnen de hut om soesah te voorkomen.

Gaan eerst van de boeien, doch daar er geen booten zijn snijden we de trossen door en slippen de staaldraden.  Op ‘t eerste schip is alleen een loods a/b [aan boord] en moet de rest maar volgen zoo goed en kwaad als ‘t gaat. De Hwtk [hoofdwerktuigkundige] blijft achter, daar hij niet op tijd terug is van telefoneeren; hadden toch niets aan hem gehad, daar hij op was v/d [van de] zenuwen.

Krijgen orders 400’ Zuid te sturen en daar op nadere orders te wachten. Begint donker te worden en hard te regenen. Wat een droevig slot. Sommige sufferds gaan buiten weer ankeren om op kaarten, water, of volk te wachten, maar wij stoomen door en verdwijnen met de ‘Khoen Hoea’, de ‘Sipirok’ en een met de troepen afgestampte Lloydboot (Djambi?) in de zware regen, en varen de onzekere nacht in zoo hard als we maar kunnen draaien.  Daar ik in de middag al eenige troepenschepen weg zag gaan en ook zag dat ze al enkele afweer batterijen inpakten en a/b [aan boord] reden, voelde ik wel dat ‘t einde nabij was, maar wist echter niet dat ‘t zoo nabij was.

Doe erg optimistisch tegen de officieren, alsof ‘t slechts tijdelijk is, want ik ben de eenige die zijn gezin a/ba [an boord] heb, maar voel in mijn hart dat ‘t afgeloopen is met Java. Heb nog kans gezien de bemanning v/d [van de] ‘Wega’ kwijt te raken, doch houd nog 57 inlanders en chineezen a/b [aan boord], benevens de Engelse hoofdmachinist.  Vertrek Tjilatjap.


Supplementary Information

26 February 1942 [Thursday]

English Translation

Luckily the ropes broke at dawn and, because I don’t want to be a sitting duck target any longer,  I let them go and promise to report them in Tjilatjap, because they do not want to come on board and want to give it another try.

Arrive too late for Tjilatjap and keep going up and down all night.  Had I quietly steamed past the tow.  The ‘Kedah‘ and two American destroyers leave the harbour.  The Japs occupy Benkoelen..


Dutch Original

De sleeptros breekt gelukkig juist met daglicht en daar ik niet langer als schietschijf durf te fungeeren, laat ik ze gaan en beloof hen te Tjilatjap te zullen rapporteeren, want ze willen niet hier a/b [aan boord] komen, en het toch nog probeeren.

Kom te laat voor Tjilatjap en houd de geheele nacht op en neer. Had ik die sleep maak stiekum voorbij gevaren. De ‘Kedah’ + 2 Am. jagers komen uit de haven.  Japs bezetten Benkoelen.


Supplementary Information